How to Choose a Mattress Topper?
Baby mattress protector is an indispensable element of a set of bedding for a child. The mattress will become unusable much faster without it. If we compare the cost of a mattress cover and the price of a mattress, it is quite obvious that it is more profitable to buy a protective mattress cover along with a mattress, overpaying for a new mattress when a child ruins the current one.
Covers are made of solid cotton and waterproof microfiber, and various natural and artificial materials serve as fillers. Often there are mattress covers with fillers from:
- Polyurethane foam;
A modern mattress cover is a practical and convenient product that has many advantages over any sheets and oilcloths:
- A waterproof cover will reliably protect against moisture, which means you can be sure that there won’t appear any fungus and mold;
- Hypoallergenic materials will not allow dust accumulation, which means they will prevent the development of allergies;
- The product will protect the mattress from dirt and mechanical damage;
- Due to the fact that the cover "breathes" the occurrence of a "greenhouse" effect is excluded, which means that the baby's skin is protected from irritation and diaper rash;
- The cover levels the deformed surface of the mattress, thereby protecting the baby's spine from curvature;
- The mattress cover is equipped with convenient fasteners, so it is securely held on the mattress;
- In the heat the product will give coolness, and it will keep warm on cold days ;
- Caring for the product does not require much effort.
Forms of baby’s mattress covers
There are several types of mattress toppers for cribs on the market. The designs of cribs can be different, which means that the mattresses have a different shape. Forms of mattress covers can be:
- Standard (rectangular);
Accordingly, you need to choose a cover, the parameters of which are suitable for the mattress of the crib. If the cover is small, the mattress may become deformed, and the baby will feel discomfort. A mattress pad that is too large will also create inconvenience for the child, it can move out or gather in folds.
It's time to find out what types of protective mattress covers exist
They buy so that the mattress does not wear out ahead of time. Most often they consist of durable fabric. Mattress protector with winter-summer function are very comfortable. On the one hand, the model is quilted with warm material, for example. On the other hand - cotton fabric, which is not hot in summer.
Moisture-proof mattress pad, as the name implies, does not let water through. Consists of two layers of fabric. There are a pleasant cotton material above and delicate microfiber inside - knitwear or terry.
Orthopedic mattress covers
The orthopedic cover is slightly higher than the protective mattress covers and differs from them in the degree of rigidity. This difference is due to the purpose of the product. An orthopedic mattress cover should not only protect the mattress from moisture and dust, but also help it restore its original appearance. The fact is that the special design of the cover allows you to eliminate various damage to the mattress, making its surface even.
Proper care will prolong the life of your mattress pad
For a baby’s mattress protector to serve for a long time, it is necessary to properly care for it.
Each material has its own characteristics. Without taking them into account, you risk quickly making a new mattress pad unusable.
- In order for the mattress cover to wear out evenly, it is recommended to periodically turn it over. The optimal period of use of one side is no more than three months.
- Mattress covers should also be cleaned with detergents (with no builders). For example, it is not recommended to use loose washing powders for membrane products. Grains clog micropores and make it impossible to "breathe".
- Aggressive detergents containing chlorine, formaldehyde, phenol are also prohibited, as they violate the quality properties of materials and are also dangerous for your child.
- Mattress covers cannot be ironed - high temperatures are contraindicated for the fillers used, but you need to ventilate often so that those minor odors that they could absorb disappear.